A garage door is probably something that you already have installed in your house. Although it is a basic necessity that you definitely need, it is quite a financial investment. Whether you are looking to install a garage door in your new house or whether you want to replace your existing door, there are a few tips you can keep in mind in order to help you choose the right door. These tips are listed below-
- Identify the right material- there are advantages and disadvantages of each material. The most common material used is steel which is seen to be a better option than wood in terms of the energy utilised to open and close it. When it comes to the cost of material, aluminium is the cheapest. But the disadvantage of this material is that it is easily prone to dents. Using natural materials is a good option in terms of durability, but will have to be repainted on a regular basis
- Identify the insulation value (R-value) – this is a point that is especially important if you live in a place that has extremes of climactic conditions. The higher your R-value, the more insulated the garage will be. This will also help you in terms of operating it in an energy efficient manner.
- In order for your garage door to look absolutely perfect, you should try to coordinate the colour you paint it or buy it in to match the rest of your house. Ideally, try to find a finished door that will not require continuous re-painting and maintenance over the years
- While this may not be an obvious choice, installing windows in your garage door gives your whole house a more aesthetic appeal.
- Choose an appropriate style of architecture when it comes to your garage door. Don’t try to mix and match your modernist house with a traditional style garage door or vice versa
- Try to choose an online company that will show you before and after pictures of how your new garage door will look. This will give you a preview of what you can expect without actually changing anything
- Don’t feel obliged to install pieces of hardware on your garage door. Change and customise these parts based on what you want to be visible to the eye while still making sure that the door is properly functional
- Warranties are important! Depending on the material you choose, your warranty may vary. Additionally, different manufacturers offer different time periods for warranty so try to find the best deal for yourself.
- Weather proof your garage door for the area you live in. For example, if the area is prone to cyclones and hurricanes or just strong winds, make sure your garage door complies with the standard wind load reinforcement requirements set by local authorities
- Once you’ve found the perfect door, do your research on where you can find the best price. You could go straight to the dealer or shop from a Home Depot. Look for sales so you can save yourself some money!
Euro Star Windows and Doors specialises in all kinds of doors and door replacements. You can find a variety of doors to choose from according to how you want the door to look. Click on https://www.eurostarwindows.ca/doors/ to contact a representative today.