The Basics of Cell Culture
In very simple terms, cell culture refers to the method used to remove a single cell or a strand of tissue from living organisms such as plants, animals, and humans. Cell culture technicians and scientists place the removed cells in an artificial setting. They would have this setting duplicate the cell’s natural environment regarding density, temperature, humidity, and type of gaseous atmosphere. As a result, they get to observe the cells’ responses whenever one element of their environment is absent or manipulated. This entire process is known as cell culture.
About Wheaton’s Cell Culture Products
Cell culture is a critical process that requires a very exact process with highly advanced equipment. Wheaton, as a pioneer in the glassware industry, offers a variety of cell culture products at reasonable prices. Such products include:
- Culture Tubes: this is used to handle chemicals and store fluids. Its long narrow body slows down the vapor and makes the manipulation of liquids easier.
- Flasks: This is a highly useful tool for storing, cooling, heating and mixing all kinds of fluids. In Wheaton, the available types of flasks are shake flasks, nephelo culture flasks, spinner flasks, and trypsinized cell culture flasks.
- Incubators: this is used when scientists want to test how cells react to temperature change. Wheaton’s incubators have a configurable shelving selection and a CO2 option.
- Magnetic Stirrers: this is used to mix the cells. It comes in different sizes in order to adjust to the available space a lab has.
- Media Bottles: also known as reagent bottles, these containers contain chemicals in different types of forms, such as liquid or powder, to be stored away for later use.
- Staining Ware: made from soda-lime glass, this stain-resistant equipment includes dishes, covers, and racks.
The Importance of Glassware Quality
Besides getting the right tools for the job, it is very important to check the quality as well. Most laboratory tools are made of glass, and the quality of glass can have an effect on the cell culture process. Glass containers in Wheaton offer a number of great features such as:
- Excellent visibility
This helps scientists observe better, measure more accurately and perform other processes more easily. It allows them to see how the color changes and how fluids react to temperature changes and other chemical inputs.Wheaton’s glassware has excellent visibility so that you can see your experiments more clearly.
- Reliable stability
This means that you can expect glass tools to be stationary given that they are put in a constant environment. It is very unlikely for Wheaton’s tools to move while conducting an experiment. This ensures that every procedure is conducted in a safe manner with no harmful consequences.
- Heat and chemical resistance
Quality tools can be trusted to withstand a certain amount of high pressure, heat, and chemicals. Wheaton’s tools are all made from materials and are highly resistant to all of these influences. They won’t break down when you need them the most.
- Many options to choose from
Glass containers come in different forms where each is designed for a specific purpose. Wheaton knows and understands that every experiment is unique to your situation. For this reason, they offer a wide range of options to choose from. They also offer custom glassware in case your experiments require a very specific type of glassware.
Making Advancements in Cell Culture Technology
Quality tools offer countless benefits for cell culture scientists and technicians who want to conduct procedures more efficiently. It’s safe to say that the advancement of cell culture technology relies on your choice of glassware.
In most studies, cell culture is considered to be a life-saving development wherein scientists could continue to study and manipulate cell activity in order to control cell response. With this, possible treatments could be given to genetic disorders. For example, Tay-Sachs disease.
Wheaton is proud to support the advancement of cell culture technology by offering glassware, cell culture tubes, laboratory flasks, and other products. They are also starting to make new innovations so that they can take the quality of their products to the next level.
What makes Wheaton different compared to other brands is that they aim to achieve excellence in each and every one of their offerings. With their strong commitment to innovation and their 126 years in the business, Wheaton is indeed one of the best cell culture product providers in the industry.